Thursday, April 10, 2008

nyc

















Bought a ticket immediately and flew out to la gaurdia the next day…warning…don’t buy tickets and try to fly within 24hrs…the vendors don’t pay the airlines that fast and its like showing up without a ticket…this sort of shit doesn’t really get to me at this point…but maybe your not over it yet. Ian picked me up at the airport and it was back in new york…glad to see bromaster again…back in familiar queens…eating at the old falafel stand…hanging at flux…listening to tapes from india. It was nice.
Me and ian didn’t have place to stay…but gabs took us in and warmed our hearts with a little whiskey and it was great to feel loved for the first time in too long. Got right to it the next day and started in on building ians new house/art project on the flux roof. The deadline was about four days so we busted some major ass hauling pallets from the back lot hand over hand by rope up four stories, across the roof, and up another two where we laid the foundation and put up some walls. It was hard work, and cold and raining, but it was satisfying building my bro a house and we're both hard workers so things progressed along nicely and it was fun being a part of the last flux show with ian after all the years of our projects together…making it happen despite our exhaustions and fatigues.
In the mean time I made it to dr cahill for a little colon/blood/poo exam and came out sportin some stylish worms, an amoeba, and an infected red colon full of puss…I was riding the high of healthy livin and headed over to the met to see some art…but the whole time I felt like I was about to fall over and barf up blood…so i ditched outta there and treated myself to a hotdog and later on a pretzel…lost myself in the park and nearly frozen signing leonard cohen songs in my head and thinking what the fuck…this is death.
Met up with jameson that night and we wrapped over some beers and bukowski and his new photo series on the Mexican border. We blasted off into china town where I really lost it and started machine gunning innocent civilians with some giant tube of paper that looked like a joint…I was way gone…kicking all the garbage I could find…living like I was back in America and didn’t give a fuck…even Jamie thought I was loosin it and had to pull on the reigns a little. We ended up in this dive bar by central booking signing karaoke…don’t you want me Jamie…don’t you want me now…and you don’t have to rich…while jameson macked the bar tender and got verbally abused by some crazy bitches gone mad with karaoke fever wanting him to sing…china towns never seen it better…and its still my favorite place in nyc. We wound down over some baby bock choy and tea…I was so wasted I couldn’t tell how hot the tea was until the next afternoon when I was like…what the fuck is wrong with my tongue.
Anyways, the construction project was heating up and it was the last few hours before the opening…me and bromaster were breakin it down, choppin it up, and nailin it back together…hung over…starved…and homeless to top it off. I was feeling pretty flimsey…having only eattin a few pieces of bread and beer all day when ian came down to the kitchen …something was wrong…his shoe was sawed through the middle…he got it off and had ended up nearly sawing his toe in half…it looked nasty…it was the jigsaw that kick back on him and those aint nice… we cleaned it up the best we could…reloaded the nail gun…and ian headed off to the er with some flux help and I stayed to finish the house for the opening. I busted ass like mad for the next three hours nail gunning the fuck out of the roof, putting up the center beam, attaching the tarp roof, hauling up the bed, and cleaning everything up…jumped in the shower and ran off to the Gregory crewdson opening that I was supposedly in.
I arrived at the opening so late after the most hectic as shit abusive day and my brother sawing his foot up to find that my image wasn’t on the wall and Gregory wasn’t to be found and I was like fuck it…looked at my shot in the book for about two seconds…meet up with Robbie, jen, Jameson, and jojo, went to one other opening where I gobbled up some more bread and headed back to flux for their last opening...the buildings getting torn down by the mta.
On the way back over in a taxi, ian called up and we swung by to get him …he had to spend six hours in the er…the stupid motherfuckers were so retarded that they sewed up his toe with the wrong stitches…took them out…re-sewed it back up…took those out…and then glue the fucking thing back together….there just lucky I wasn’t there cause I would have murdered every last stupid one of them on the spot. ian was miserable…and exhausted and bummed for sure…but we got him back to flux and everyone was stoked to see him and he made it up to the roof where the house was finished and waiting and we all hung out and partied and lots of people showed up…we read hilarious passages from some book…and I passed out in the bed…more beat than life has ever dealt it. Jameson broke out of statue to come snuggle with me and gabs and the rest of the gang and it was good times for sure. We sobered up enough to make it back down the ladder and Robbie baby came to the rescue at three when I texted him I was lookin for a bed…it was a desperate hour sitting there on the concrete…but I made it over and brother mayhem had cooked up some soup and sandwiches and we went to bed around five and woke up the next day at two…thanks baby...thats what im talking about.
Saturday…what was left of it…was gorgeous…and headed over to flux via the cemetery and soaked up the weather and played cow headstand out on the porch we built from some left over pallets and it was real nice. we basked in the sun, content with the satisfaction of making it happen…despite it all. Hung out with lexicon that afternoon and snuggled it up that night with Adrian in the ice cave…that’s my nickname for the house we built…and had radical dreams about shrinking cars and important stuff like that.
Sunday was my last day…made it over to lei’s to catch up…got back together with jameson and we wrapped over philosophies and traded some music and insights into foreign cultures and got one last bite over in china town. Met up with kimberton, mic, colin, butter, and jojo at some club and bounced around the floor and yelled at each other in attempts at conversations…parted ways around two…made it to gabs by three…woke up at six…went to robbie’s to get the last of belongings and taxied out to the airport…landed in Detroit…had lunch with grampa…jumped the car…made a four hour semi suicidal drive back to the north woods of traverse in time for dinner and unpacked before bed.
woke up the next morning to a rooted to nature meeting where we talked about commitment and the realities of starting a business that might fail. Today, I started the meds to kill my worms and filed my taxes and tried to get some fraud charges sorted and started paying my student loans…tomorrow I go back to work…and that’s the story of my crazy fucking life…i never planned it this way...but somehow its all worked out...so I hope you’ve liked it. amazingly I survived and endured on less food and sleep and more diseases than I could have ever imagined possible…turns out im a lucky guy…in a lot of ways ill probably never know...and its good to finally be home. code

1 comment:

PhDJ said...

Heya Code-
Austin here...from months ago...also-was-in-India-guy.
Man: Your posting was such an enjoyable read. I can't wait to get back to India, having only experienced two weeks' worth of life-deluge. Unforgettable though. I got to hang with some cool sketch artists in Mumbai for a few days. Daring mo-fo's getting by on so little. Living so well.
The NYC chapter of your return is classic. Just got back from Indonesia and now I have a sweet staph infection. A price we would willingly pay I guess.
Anyhow, welcome back. I've told many people about your photo with the pants dangling from the barbed-wire fence.
Good luck with your biz.
Peace.
AP